- Main Attractions
- What's On
- What's on in Bilbao this July
- Fun and Serious Game Festival 2014
- What's on in Bilbao December 2016
- The San Mamés Stadium
- The Guggenheim
- Zinebi International Festival
- What to do in Bilbao this Christmas 2014
- San Blas Day in Bilbao 2015
- 2015-2016, first year of Ignaciano Pilgrimaje
- Bilbao Easter Guide 2015
- What's on in Bilbao this May
- Northern Way of St James, World Heritage Site by UNESCO
- This autumn, Bilbao is bursting with things to do!
- What’s on? August 2015
- What's On
- Christmas in Bilbao 2015
- What's On
- What's on Bilbao in February
- What's on Bilbao in April
- What's on Bilbao in May
- What’s On in June?
- What’s On in Bilbao in August
- What's On September
- What's on in Bilbao this October
- What's on in Bilbao this November
- What's on in Bilbao January 2017
- What's on in Bilbao February 2017
- What's on in Bilbao March 2017
- What's on in Bilbao April 2017
- What's on in Bilbao May 2017
- What's on in Bilbao July 2017
- What's on in Bilbao August 2017
- Music events Bilbao May & June
- Terracotta Army – The Xi’an Warriors in Bilbao
- Japan Weekend Bilbao 2015
- Top 5 activities with children in Bilbao
- Special Offers
- Plan your trip
San Blas Day in Bilbao 2015
We’ll let you know how to get one of the famous San Blas cords in Bilbao
If you are one of those who suffers from cold and sore throat quite regularly, this post may be of interest for you. According to the tradition in Vizcaya, the trick consists of wearing a blessed cord around your neck for nine days, including the 3rd of February. Once these days have gone you will need to burn the cord in order for the tradition to come true.
This tradition has been spread all around Vizcaya, making it one of the first markets of the year. Thousands of people go to the San Nicolas de Bari’s church in order to listen to the prayer, acquire the donuts of San Blas and get themselves with enough colour cords in order to protect the whole family.
Just 24 minutes away from the Holiday Inn Express Bilbao Airport by car, you could visit the famous town of Abadiño. The inhabitants of Abadiño celebrates this day with big devotion, including a traditional agricultural fair.
Origin of the tradition:
It is been said that San Blas was a doctor and bishop in Sebaste (Sivas) in Cappadocia (Turkey). The governor of Cappadocia who wanted to persecute all the Christians, ordered to imprison San Blas because he didn’t want to reject Christianity. He was sentenced to death and throw to a lake near Sebaste. He survived as he was seen to walking on the lake. After this he was tortured and behead.
Since them the Church pays tribute to him every 3rd of February.
Do not miss out on this opportunity and book some days off at Holiday Inn Express Bilbao Airport.
Where is the San Nicolas de Bari’s Church:
San Nicolás, 1 48005 Bilbao
Metro stop: Casco Viejo